Sunday, January 13, 2008

Plastic Bags, Cloned Food, and High Speed Trains!

Well, the topics to write about this weekend has been very limited. I have decided to comment on a few short articles from America Blog. First, China has banned plastic bags. I find it surprising that China would do something like this. Since when do they care about the environment. I guess it is a little embarrassing that they are ahead of the U.S. on this. However, I also think it is a little extreme to totally ban plastic bags. The U.S. could work on reducing how many we use though.

In other news from America Blog, the EU and the U.S. are allowing the marketing of cloning foods. However, the foods have to be very clearly marked. The article from America blog seems to think that the idea of cloned foods will flop and that people will not want to eat them. They sound fine to me though. I've never had cloned food, but if it tastes the same then who cares? We will just have to wait and see how cloned food turns out. Maybe in 20 years we will not be able to survive without it.

Finally, there is the issue of high speed trains or the lack there of in the U.S. The United States has never had a train system that could compare to Europe, and recently the gap has been widening. The article on America blog uses the lack of high speed trains in America as proof that America is not "the bestest country on the earth". I really don't see why high speed trains are all that important. America is so much more spread out of has developed so differently than Europe, that I do not think trains will ever become popular. American's are dependent on cars, or airplanes if we have to go a long way. I just don't see there being a demand for a high speed train system, so it would not be cost effective to put all of the money up to build one.

Well these topics have been rather dry. Just remember that when you go to the grocery store you should bring you own bags (that are not plastic), watch out for any cloned foods, and take the train on your way home.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow. That is so interesting that China has banned plastic bags. When I read your blog, I was totally surprised and couldn't believe it because even this Christmas when I went to visit my family in China, plastic bags were still in use. So, yes. I went and looked it up. An internet source says "The government of China has ordered a ban on the production, sale and use of ultra-thin bags as of June 1. Supermarkets and shops will be banned from giving free plastic bags to customers as of that date, but they can sell the plastic bags."
I wonder what will happen when June 1 comes around. From personal experience, I know that plastic bags are used prevalently in China. When one buys meat or fruit in the marketplace, plastic bags are used. I guess we'll just have to wait until June 1 to see what happens!
source: http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens
/jan2008/2008-01-10-03.asp

Brad said...

America is so much more spread out of has developed so differently than Europe, that I do not think trains will ever become popular.

I would actually draw the opposite conclusion. Since America is so large, high-speed trains could certainly be of more benefit than our current, slower train lines that go across the United States. I do agree that trains are not going to become more popular than airplanes for long-distance travel anytime soon in the U.S.